2008-04-16

More Computer FU

OK, that was supposed to be "fun" but the typo is really closer to the mark, so I am leaving it as is. THe desktop is still ailing but not yet dead nor even comatose, so I continue on with it. Once I get the laptop all squared away, I will turn my attention to the the CPU at the desk. Today's fun with helpdesk involves many hours on the phone waiting for tests to run, updates to download and install... at least the Indian national puppy I talked to today was pleasant. All of the Dell people I've had contact with have been extremely pleasant and good at what had to be done. Today, Arvind was the lucky representative. Started on the phone with him at around 10:30 this morning...and here it is nearly 5PM and JUST finished with the last more-than-an-hour-long call. And guess what? STILL no sound! Replacing the hard drive did not solve that particlar problem, which is what we addressed today. At length. At present, the latest Microsoft update is 23% complete... 23% after over an hour in progress. OH! Just went up to 24%, how exciting.

So, the upshot of TODAY's remote diagnostics is that I need a new MOTHERBOARD. That is being sent, and a technician will be at the house either Friday or Monday to install it and check the physical speaker connections. Arvind updated my graphics card while we were waiting for other things, too, so I am now re-installing Second Life for like the sixth time this week.

I'm just TIRED.

Myfi

No comments: